The CAPERS Kickstarter will go live on Tuesday, March 6, 2018.
The CAPERS Preview Edition is available for purchase. Give the game a look. Get ready for the Kickstarter. Help spread the word.
CAPERS is a super-powered game of 1920s gangsters.
In CAPERS, players portray exceptional people – called "capers" by the general populace – who have been gifted with superhuman powers that defy the laws of science. You can play a gangster working to make his fortune in the vice-riddled 1920s. Alternatively, you can portray a member of law enforcement working to bring these criminals to justice.
If you want to receive ONE email when the Kickstarter goes live, go HERE and sign up. If you regularly see my Facebook or Twitter posts or are subscribed to the blog here, you'll definitely know when the Kickstarter goes live. No need to sign up for the email.
There's nice review of the Preview Edition HERE.
The Game Mechanics
In CAPERS, each player uses a standard, poker-style deck of playing cards (52 suit cards plus 2 jokers) to resolve actions. When you attempt a task, you have a certain number of cards you can flip based on a Trait and maybe an applicable Skill. You can flip one or more cards, choosing to end your card flipping and take the result of the last card flipped whenever you want. The card flip accounts for both success/failure of the check and degree of success/failure of the attempt. You might get a success on a card flip but with a low degree of success. You can stick with that result or gamble and flip more cards to try to get a better degree of success and hopefully avoid flipping a card that fails the check.
Plans for the Game
Like Murders & Acquisitions, CAPERS will be a self-contained game with everything you need to play in a single rule book. We'll be running a Kickstarter to fund final artwork, layout, etc. beginning on Tuesday, March 6, 2018. There will certainly be a variety of PDF support materials offered along with the game itself. Here's what we are planning for support materials.
- Character Sheet - A form-fillable PDF character sheet.
- GM Screen Inserts - This supplement (available in portrait and landscape orientations) provides the GM with quick access to all the most important CAPERS game information. You can print the pages on heavy cardstock or place them in the sleeves of generic GM screens for easy use.
- Rules One-Sheet- A simple one-sheet rules summary, ideal for new players or as a handy reference at the game table.
- Pre-Generated Characters - Several pre-generated character sheets (form-fillable PDFs) featuring a variety of characters, ideal for quick pick-up and play games.
- Adventures - A variety of pre-written adventures of Prohibition action.